Monday, December 21, 2009

Are All 3 Of Those Kids Yours?

Today at the mall, somebody stopped me (and when I say stopped me, I mean literally pulled over his delivery truck) to smile and ask if "all 3 of those kids are mine?"

His question was our 3rd conversation with strangers from the parking lot to the door of the Galleria.
Another lady said, "Wow Mama, you must mean business with that stroller!"
You know it! We always mean business when we shop this time of year! :)

A third person said "I can't believe you are brave enough to go out with all 3 of them!"
My response was, "This is my life. We travel together, or we don't travel!" We're too bored locked up inside..of course we love to get out and about! (not to mention that fact that the girls are normally very good!)
Once we got into the Galleria, a sales associate walked up, looked at my trio, and said "My goodness, I can NOT imagine how long it takes for you to get out the door in the morning!"

I told her we don't normally sign up for anything before 9:15. Yes, it takes us a while.
But that got me to thinking of our night time routine with the girls. (which believe it or not takes LONGER than our morning routine)
As they have gotten older, we have slowly adoped new "traditions" into our bedtime ritual.
After we take a bath and brush our teeth, we read a story. Normally, Peter and I read to the girls (of course!), but today, I caught Maryn sitting in her rocker reading Just Incase You Ever Wonder.


After our story we are off to bed. We need to make sure we have all of our special things.
Maryn: Shes pretty easy, just blankie, nonnie and Dora the Explorer doll.
Brynn: Puppy, Froggy, Dora and blankie
Leah: Horsie, Kitty, Puppy, Puppy 2, Dora and blankie. (I'm not kidding you, I'm not sure how this child fits into her bed at night!)
Then it is on to the "love you" round. This was daddy's routine at first. Now it has just stuck.
First we do a round of knuckles. Knuckles from mommy and knuckles from daddy.

Then, comes the round of high-fives!

Then the kisses...

And finally the hugs...

We usually hear requests for "one more hug" but we try to cut it off after round 4! :)
Thankfully, after they are tucked in and "knuckled", high-fived, kissed and hugged good night, they fall asleep quickly. No more escapes as of yet. I'm sure it won't be too long!
Yes, it does take a while to get 3 two year olds in gear for anything. But 3 hugs and 3 kisses from 3 beautiful girls that I am lucky enough to call my daughters: worth every extra moment!

1 comment:

Mary said...

What a great post. LOVE the night time routine.