Like a lot of the rest of you, I got sucked into the "season premiere" of Jon and Kate Plus 8 tonight. I have to tell you that I watched the show with a broken heart. It is easy to judge. Maybe she is tough on him...maybe he was caught in a compromising position...we'll probably never know the whole truth. What I do know is this...having higher order multiples is HARD.
My baby girls are my ultimate blessing, but being a mother to 18 month old triplets has also been a challenge far greater than my words can express. Parents of higher order multiples (triplets, quads, quints, etc.) are 3 times as likely to get a divorce as the general population. It's so easy to spend your life making sure your kids are safe and happy that you forget to focus on the love that brought your miracles into the world in the first place.
Tonight, I just feel the need to say thank you. Thank you to my parents and my in-laws for the love you have shown, not only to our kids, but to us. Thank you for giving us time alone together to focus on each other and build up our marriage. Thank you for being brave enough to take 3 toddlers so that we can have a date night...alone...together. What we can't do by ourselves, we do as a family. It really does take a village to raise a child. (or 3 in our case) Thank you to our entire village! You know who you are! We are eternally grateful!
Strikeouts and a Walk-Off Home Run
1 month ago


4 comments:
Question -- what are "higher order" multiples?
YOu are so right. I can't even decide whether or not I want to watch that show. I'm sort of mad at the general public / media for even putting them in the spotlight like this -- just let them live! Of course, they did choose to be on reality TV, but I digress.
Anyway. We are definitely the lucky ones -- all three families (yours, Peter/Mer's, Marc's/mine) are so awesome. I don't know how any of us would get through anything without them!
~J
The biggest blessing is ours. I can't tell you the joy the girls have brought us - it is beyond expression. We love you all, Mimi
Oh - I couldn't agree more. It was so sad - makes me want to help them fix things. It can happen so fast...
Amen! It is hard but so important to keep building on the marriage. Thanks for this post. May God Bless Jon and Kate and especially the 8!
Nicole
Post a Comment